Thursday, November 09, 2006

Response to Alex V.G.'s comment

"I dig what you are saying about the imperative, about the tonal impact it has on a poem, etc., but I wonder about your linking of the imperative and bitterness... I definately get a feeling of bitterness from some of the poem, primarily when she says ",girl" in the way she does, coupled, yes, with the imperative, but I'm not sure its the imperative that gives the poem that bitterness as much as the placement of girl (as, I believe, it refers to the poet) after a comma after an imperative, like a spit or a curse. "Go do this, stupid." Thoughts? Actually it is pretty late, to be honest. You don't have to answer if you are already asleep."

Tonal things can be difficult to guage because so much of it hinges on how an individual reacts to certain words, phrases, tenses, etc. These reactions can vary from person to person greatly in some instances. The inclusion of ",girl" in the poem gives me a sense of a desperate woman trying so hard to push herself in a new direction. But all of these commands to herself seem to be tinged with bitterness. I'll definitely agree though that just the word "girl" clarifies so much about the poem but also opens many doors. One door being how to interpret the placement and usage of the word. It's such a minute yet important detail that it can be read into several ways.

No comments: